Tuesday, May 8, 2012

1 Week Post Op



We've had a rough transition back to life, but it does get better each day. The first night home he screamed until 2 in the morning - I could not find any way to comfort him. Finally we both fell asleep in the spare bed in his room, but even then he was fussy all night. Saturday he cried most of the day which sounded extra sad because he had screamed himself hoarse the night before. He wanted me to hold him constantly or sit right next to him as he played on the floor. He couldn't be alone for a minute. Naps never last more than an hour, usually closer to 45 min, and he always wakes up crying. Alan and I looked at each other Saturday night with total exhaustion and wondered what we had done. He did do a little better when we elevated his mattress and added pillows for cushioning. We've kept up on his pain medications, but he seems the same whether he's medicated or not. The last couple nights we've only given him Tylenol in the evenings to help with sleep.

He has been eating and drinking great since the moment we got home which is so wonderful! Each day he laughs a little easier and is even starting to play by himself again. In talking with other cranio moms it seems that it takes 2-3 weeks before you feel like life is returning to "normal".


I'm amazed that Isaac looks this good after only one week! The swelling goes down more each day, which reveals more lumps and bumps, but the doctor said that is to be expected. I can already see some of the stitches are dissolving. I think his head is heavier and more awkward that it was before, so Isaac is getting used to that. It's really hard to not be able to communicate with him about what helps and what he is feeling.



He's still wanting to learn how to walk and still loves to explore.


The scab behind his ear is where the drainage tube came out. His head shape really is dramatically different than before. I do miss his old head, but I'm grateful for the healthy future he has in store with his new one.


This is the face we are seeing way too much of, but I am so grateful that we see less of it each day. He has been such a fighter and so patient with all that he has had to go through. I am so proud of this little guy and so inspired by all the strength that can come in such a small package.

2 comments:

  1. Poor baby. That last picture breaks my heart. I'm glad it gets better every day. Here's to a better week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so good after only one week! I'm amazed at his strength (and your strength) to pull through such a hard thing. I'm glad it's getting better every day. Hang in there! Our prayers are continually with you. Love, Mindy

    ReplyDelete